Settlement Worker – full-time position
The Portage Learning and Literacy Centre is currently seeking a full-time (37.5 hours/week) Settlement Worker to provide settlement services to all newcomers to Canada, including Manitoba eligible clients:
• Temporary residents holding a valid work permit
• Refugee claimants
• Canadian-born citizens raised outside of Canada who present as newcomers
• Temporary residents holding a post-secondary study permit
• Naturalized Canadian citizens who present as newcomers
• Spouse and dependents of those listed above
This position is funded by the Province of Manitoba and focuses on informing, orienting, and connecting newcomers to their community and its resources, supporting successful social and economic integration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Settlement Coordinator and other settlement staff, this position is responsible for:
• Welcoming and assisting all newcomer clients with immediate and essential settlement services in Portage la Prairie and other communities in the Central Plains region.
• Conducting formal intakes and collecting relevant information of clients.
• Creating individually-tailored settlement plans with clients to address their basic and immediate settlement needs as well as short and long-term goals.
• Researching new resources and information to address clients’ concerns, within the scope of their identified settlement needs.
• Providing 1:1 or group based information/orientation sessions on key settlement topics and services.
• Creating opportunities for clients to access resources and information through the creation of partnerships, collaboration, and consistent referral protocols.
• Engaging clients in their local communities and building connections with community members, public institutions, employers and community organizations.
• Assisting with coordinating community activities, including events that facilitate interaction and connection between newcomers and established community members.
• Ensuring strict adherence to client confidentiality and all professional codes of conduct.
• Performing other duties as required for meeting all requirements of funding agreement.
• Excellent interpersonal, cross-cultural, written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain respectful and professional relationships
• Understanding and awareness of the newcomer experience, including knowledge of diversity issues and an ability to work within a cross-cultural perspective
• Developed case management skills and ability to regularly follow up with clients
• Considerable knowledge of Portage la Prairie and surrounding communities, including awareness of all resources, programs and services for referrals and partnerships
• Group facilitation and public speaking skills
• Flexible and willing to work some evenings and weekends
• Valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
• Demonstrated advanced level of computer proficiency: skills with social media and a variety of software products, especially Microsoft Office
• Minimum one year of relevant experience is preferred
• Fluency in additional languages an asset
• Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check are conditions of employment
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday, May 14 at 12:00 p.m.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Youth Program Facilitator – contract position
The Portage Learning and Literacy Centre is currently seeking Youth Program Facilitators to work with a small team to organize and facilitate a newcomer youth engagement program. The program will offer a variety of activities (4 hours per day, 4 days per week for 8 weeks) throughout July and August 2021. These positions are for 35 hours per week for 9-10 weeks, from June 21 (or 28) to August 27, 2021.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, and working closely with the SYEP Coordinator and other Settlement Program staff, this position is responsible for: 1) assisting with the planning, logistics, and implementing activities of the Summer Youth Engagement Program, and 2) assisting with administrative duties within the office.
- Knowledge/awareness of the PLLC and its various programs
- Youth-focused with commitment to assisting growth and development among children
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people in a collaborative, culturally aware manner
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills
- Outgoing, with an ability to work unsupervised, take initiative, and lead groups
- Excellent time management and teamwork abilities
- Must be patient and enjoy working with children and youth
- Previous teaching and leadership experience is a strong asset
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new and challenging situations
- Knowledge of or experience with office administration, organizational and technical skills
- Excellent computer skills, including the use of internet browsers, Windows and Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Sound judgement and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, including secure filing systems
- Must possess a valid MB driver’s license with a clear driver’s abstract
- Access to a reliable vehicle is an asset
- Education and relevant experience in Social Services and/or Child Care is an asset
- First Aid/CPR certificate (or willing to obtain one immediately upon starting)
- Must complete a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check before starting
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before noon on June 4, 2021.
We thank all applicants; however, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Thank you for your interest in working with us. Please also consider volunteering! It looks great on your resume, adds to your skills and experience, and it is definitely rewarding to help others!
Youth Program Facilitator – contract for up to 10 weeks