Newcomers’ Welcome Centre
The Newcomers’ Welcome Centre offers a welcoming and supportive environment where staff strive to provide the best settlement services, language training, and community activities to help newcomers to Canada settle into their new community and begin to participate in all facets of Canadian life.
We offer formal English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, and coordinate volunteers to offer informal language training (one-to-one and small group sessions) for anyone wanting to improve their English and make new friends.
Our friendly and helpful staff look forward to meeting with you and welcoming you into the community. Whether you want to come by for a visit or you want to set up an appointment, we look forward to working with you to help you achieve your goals.
Please feel free to contact our staff:
Don Boddy, Settlement Services Coordinator: 204 857 6304 ext. 229
Miriam Turyamwijuka, Program Assistant: 204 857 6304 ext. 268
Newcomers’ Welcome Centre email: [email protected]
We offer a variety of services to newcomers, such as:
- Providing information on resources in the community (e.g. education, recreation, social services, healthcare)
- Assisting with important documents (e.g. MB Health Card, SIN, etc.)
- Notary Services for documents
- Connecting newcomers with volunteers who will assist in many areas of life in Canada, including practicing English
- Providing ESL classes, assessment of your Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) levels, and access to other language training opportunities (e.g. online)
- Assistance with finding housing in the region
- Guidance with finding employment and assistance in developing cover letters and resumes or referring to the correct agency
- Helping newcomers learn more about immigration and citizenship
- Providing opportunities for community integration (e.g. social functions, fun events, celebrations, and volunteer opportunities)
- Helping newcomers meet new friends and make the community feel like home
In order to be eligible for a majority of our services, you must have Permanent Resident Status in Canada. However, we can connect all newcomers with volunteers to assist them to successfully adapt and integrate into Portage la Prairie and the Central Plains region.
The Newcomers’ Welcome Centre is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Newcomers’ Welcome Centre:
Cultivating New Pathways on the Prairies!
Find us on Facebook: “Newcomers Welcome Centre”
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes
The Newcomers’ Welcome Centre’s LINC Program is a language instruction program for eligible adult learners. You do not have to pay to for ESL classes offered through this program. These classes assist learners to attain proficiency in English required for basic social interaction and also help newcomers find employment and pursue educational goals.
Language Assessment and Registration
Before you are placed in an English class, you will have your English level assessed. Assessments are conducted by professional staff from the Winnipeg English Language Assessment and Referral Centre (WELARC) and can be conducted by a remote assessment set up at the PLLC. The test measures your skill in listening, speaking, reading, and writing English. The assessment will allow you to be referred to an appropriate class level in a local language training program in Portage la Prairie or through English Online.
You can register for a class at any time. We have continuous intake. However, please bring your Permanent Resident card with you when registering for a class.
For more information, phone 204-857-6304 ext. 268, or come into our office at 110 Saskatchewan Ave. West in Portage la Prairie.
Class Schedule for 2016-2017 (September 13, 2016 to June 22, 2017)
Portage la Prairie
Stage 1 (CLB 1 to 4) & Stage 2 (CLB 5 to 8) classes at the Portage Learning & Literacy Centre, 110 Saskatchewan Ave. West. Tuesday and Thursday evenings – 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Notre Dame de Lourdes
English Tutorial Sessions at the Centre Dom-Benoit, 55 Rogers Street, Notre Dame de Lourdes. These sessions, run by an in-class tutor, will give you the opportunity to improve your English while making new friends. Tuesday evenings – 6:00pm to 9:00pm.