Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Literacy Instructor – 35hrs/week
The Literacy Instructor is employed by the Portage Learning and Literacy Centre with funding made available through Adult Learning and Literacy (Government of Manitoba). The Literacy Instructor is responsible for assisting with the development and delivery of the Centre’s Literacy program.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Knowledge/awareness of the PLLC and its various programs.
- Familiar with the needs of adults, and adult learning principles.
- Fluent in the use of computers with Windows-based operating system and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Excellent writing and communication skills as well as a general understanding of Math.
- Capacity to work in a self-directed manner and collaborate with others in a team setting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, including a secure filing system.
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
- Have Level 1 Literacy, Education Assistance Diploma, or related experience.
- Use a range of literacy programming, including Stages to meet the needs of learners.
- Monitor and document learner progress, including attendance.
- Deliver and adapt instructional methods and materials to meet learners’ varying needs, abilities, and interests, employing instructional techniques that are appropriate and effective for the individual learner and setting.
- Create a stimulating, non-threatening environment that encourages learners to develop feelings of self-worth, dignity and respect for staff and others.
Wage: $18 – $20, Benefits available after 3-month probation
Application deadline: July 22, 2019 at 5pm
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For a full job description, please send an email to the address above.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants. Only those selected for interview will be contacted.
We are currently looking for at least one more member of the community to join our Board of Directors.
Members of the Board of Directors
The Portage Learning and Literacy Centre is a not-for-profit organization providing individuals of the Central Plains region with opportunities to realize their literacy, educational, employment, and life goals through a positive and supportive environment. The affairs of the PLLC are governed by a Board of Directors.
Board members play a key role in setting the direction and priorities of the Centre—this is a great way to make a substantial contribution to the organization and the community.
The Board of Directors is the acknowledged final authority of PLLC. Its objectives are as follows: (1) To ensure that services provided are within the Objects of PLLC, Inc.; (2) To ensure that the highest possible standards of service are offered and available to the community at reasonable cost; (3) To ensure the financial health of PLLC, Inc.
All interested individuals should apply to be a member of the Board of Directors by filling out our online volunteer application form found below. If you prefer a paper copy or if you have any questions, please stop by our office at 110 Saskatchewan Ave. West, Portage la Prairie, or email email@example.com.
Other Volunteer Opportunities:
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the PLLC. As a volunteer, you may choose options that are most suitable to your personality and your schedule. We are always looking for dedicated volunteers to fill the following positions:
ESL Classroom Assistant is responsible for assisting the ESL Instructor with teaching English to newcomers in the classroom, as planned and directed by the ESL Instructor. ESL classes are currently offered as Stage 1 (CLB 1-4) and Stage 2 (CLB 5-8), with Stage 1 classes on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 9pm at the Portage Learning and Literacy Centre.
Language Tutor meets individually or in a small group to help newcomers improve conversational English and gain confidence. The tutor will have access to a wealth of ESL resource materials through the PLLC to effectively conduct tutorial sessions based on the students’ needs.
Settlement Partner meets individually with newcomers to offer friendship, support, community tours, and an opportunity to practice English. Settlement partners are often matched based on mutual interests, but also experience in the community. Whether you are a long-time resident or a newcomer who has been here a few years, we would love to have you volunteer with us to help our newest newcomers get settled in their new community.
Special Events Assistant provides support to our staff when organizing and implementing planned special events for newcomers to build connections in the community. In this position, you will work alongside staff to ensure the success of the event or activity. Tasks could include set-up, greetings, attendance tracking, cooking, serving, making tea or coffee, and cleaning, but also having fun while you do it.
Career Mentor is responsible for providing the opportunity for internationally trained people to practice in their respective careers. If you are a business owner, professional, or retired from your career, this is your opportunity to make a huge difference in someone’s life and helping them achieve their career goals in Canada.
Conversation Club Facilitator leads a group discussion to allow newcomers to practice their English and learn about the community and all facets of living in Canada. We currently offer a Conversation Club on Monday evenings at the PLLC, but we are looking for more volunteers to help with this group or to start another group with newcomers in communities outside of Portage la Prairie.
Literacy Classroom Support is responsible for assisting the instructor and students in the Literacy classroom during the daytime, Monday to Friday, and Tuesday evenings. Students often need help with basic Math and English, so if you have some time during the week, please sign up to help our Literacy students with their studies.
If you are interested in volunteering for us, please fill out and submit the application form below and we will follow up with you to discuss your interests and complete the following required documents:
- Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement
- Waiver of Claims & Release of Liability
- Child Abuse Registry Check
- Criminal Record Check