Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
The PLLC is currently looking to fill the following positions:
Program Coordinator – Portage Work Experience (PWE)
The PWE Program Coordinator will work to organize and implement the Portage Work Experience program at the Portage Learning and Literacy Centre (PLLC).
The PLLC is a non-profit organization located in downtown Portage la Prairie, offering programs and services for the residents of the Central Plains region for over 20 years. The Portage Work Experience program has been offered since September 2016, with funding made available through Employment and Social Development Canada.
- Knowledge/awareness of the PLLC and its various programs, as well as the local labour market, employment standards and practices, and employment-related needs of youth.
- Experience organizing and implementing programs, including effectively tracking and reporting project activities and managing participants.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Assessment and problem-solving skills.
- Effective multitasking, priority setting and organization skills.
- Flexible, self-motivated, and able to work independently, but also in a team environment and with professionals, employers, and other community agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain respectful, professional relationships
- Patience, understanding, sensitivity, and comfort of working with individuals from all backgrounds, and ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Ability to liaise with different sectors to create partnerships for sustainable employment for youth.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines and multi-task to effectively manage project requirements for program participants and employers.
- Sound judgement and the ability to maintain confidentiality, including the use of secure filing and reporting systems.
- Excellent computer skills, including the use of internet browsers, Windows and Microsoft Office software – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social or Human Sciences or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working in the social services, human resources, or related front line service provision.
- Fluent in English (reading, speaking, writing).
Wage Range: $18 to $19.20 per hour for 37.5 hours per week; eligible for health & dental benefits after 3 months.
For more information about our organization and programs, please visit our website at: http://pllc.ca.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume and detailed cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: Monday, July 23, 2018 at 12:00pm
We thank all applicants, but only those chosen for interview will be contacted.
The Portage Learning and Literacy Centre is currently looking for at least one more member of the community to join our Board of Directors.
Members of the Board of Directors
The Portage Learning and Literacy Centre is a not-for-profit organization providing individuals of the Central Plains region with opportunities to realize their literacy, educational, employment, and life goals through a positive and supportive environment. The affairs of the PLLC are governed by a Board of Directors.
Board members play a key role in setting the direction and priorities of the Centre—this is a great way to make a substantial contribution to the organization and the community.
The Board of Directors is the acknowledged final authority of PLLC. Its objectives are as follows: (1) To ensure that services provided are within the Objects of PLLC, Inc.; (2) To ensure that the highest possible standards of service are offered and available to the community at reasonable cost; (3) To ensure the financial health of PLLC, Inc.
All interested individuals should apply to be a member of the Board of Directors by filling out our online volunteer application form found below. If you prefer a paper copy or if you have any questions, please stop by our office at 110 Saskatchewan Ave. West, Portage la Prairie, or email email@example.com.
Other Volunteer Opportunities:
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the PLLC. As a volunteer, you may choose options that are most suitable to your personality and your schedule. We are always looking for dedicated volunteers to fill the following positions:
ESL Classroom Assistant is responsible for assisting the ESL Instructor with teaching English to newcomers in the classroom, as planned and directed by the ESL Instructor. ESL classes are currently offered as Stage 1 (CLB 1-4) and Stage 2 (CLB 5-8), with Stage 1 classes on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 9pm at the Portage Learning and Literacy Centre.
Language Tutor meets individually or in a small group to help newcomers improve conversational English and gain confidence. The tutor will have access to a wealth of ESL resource materials through the PLLC to effectively conduct tutorial sessions based on the students’ needs.
Settlement Partner meets individually with newcomers to offer friendship, support, community tours, and an opportunity to practice English. Settlement partners are often matched based on mutual interests, but also experience in the community. Whether you are a long-time resident or a newcomer who has been here a few years, we would love to have you volunteer with us to help our newest newcomers get settled in their new community.
Special Events Assistant provides support to our staff when organizing and implementing planned special events for newcomers to build connections in the community. In this position, you will work alongside staff to ensure the success of the event or activity. Tasks could include set-up, greetings, attendance tracking, cooking, serving, making tea or coffee, and cleaning, but also having fun while you do it.
Career Mentor is responsible for providing the opportunity for internationally trained people to practice in their respective careers. If you are a business owner, professional, or retired from your career, this is your opportunity to make a huge difference in someone’s life and helping them achieve their career goals in Canada.
Conversation Club Facilitator leads a group discussion to allow newcomers to practice their English and learn about the community and all facets of living in Canada. We currently offer a Conversation Club on Monday evenings at the PLLC, but we are looking for more volunteers to help with this group or to start another group with newcomers in communities outside of Portage la Prairie.
Literacy Classroom Support is responsible for assisting the instructor and students in the Literacy classroom during the daytime, Monday to Friday, and Tuesday evenings. Students often need help with basic Math and English, so if you have some time during the week, please sign up to help our Literacy students with their studies.
If you are interested in volunteering for us, please fill out and submit the application form below and we will follow up with you to discuss your interests and complete the following required documents:
- Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement
- Waiver of Claims & Release of Liability
- Child Abuse Registry Check
- Criminal Record Check